Sunday, December 5, 2010

Ye-Ye Girls

So, yes. It's been a while. Sorry. But I promise I'll try to make it up to you.

...the proverbial "you" seeing as how I have no real proof that there's anyone out there :( love me, cyberspace!

Anywho. Tonight's post: Yé-yé.

This has been quite an obsession of mine going on some years now. For those who don't know, yé-yé was a musical movement in the early sixties, mostly in France. Coolly enough, it was a genre that showcased almost exclusively women! Girl power! The music itself is cute and fun - deliberately innocent, but, because most of it was written by friggen Serge Gainsbourg, mostly amazing!

But more than the music, the STYLE of these girls is...outstanding. I'm not sure if it's because of the era or because of the pure and simple fact that they're FRENCH (though honestly, it's probably a combination of the two), but every single girl has this gamine, I-stole-this-from-my-boyfriend-but-it-looks-better-on-me-anyways but super feminine style. I know I'm gushing but these are my A-listers. They're like my Ghandis of Fashion.



Coolest. Conversation. Ever. Francoise Hardy & Bob Dylan



Francoise Hardy is my unabashed favorite. I'm unnaturally obsessed with her.
This is how every leather jacket should look.


Classic Trench. And those sunglasses!


The bangs, the watch, the nice show of jambes


Glamour Girl Sylvie Vartan - who married this dude, and is the aunt of this dude. Great hair and less than stellar teeth.


Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin - Ye-ye's Power Couple. Both of whom are incredibly stylish. Serge's peacoat rocks...but Jane's steals the show. Oh ps: they're the parents of this powerchick. Yeah I love their offspring, too.

This was my desktop background for a very long time. Maybe bring I'll bring it back...Shirtdress + scarf + perfect bangs = Jane


Brigitte Bardot, when she wasn't busy sexifying the world with that pout and that hair, actually moonlighted as a ye-ye singer.
I know technically she's not "wearing" "anything"...but doesn't she still look so much more stylish than anyone today?



Oh, Francoise.

2 comments:

  1. Can anyone tell me what type of motorcycle Françoise Hardy is photographed sitting on in the second photo from the top? I see that is is a honda but I am curious as to the year and model of the bike. And yes she is one of the most classicaly beautiful women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Anonymous - some cursory research tells me (though I know nothing about motorcycles, personally) that it might be a 1960's or 70's CB Honda of some kind. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete