Saturday, January 23, 2010

Marilyn



Icon. She is the very definition of that word. And I grew up, like most American girls, I assume, idolizing her. There was the hair, the diamonds, the lips, that voice. And let's not forget her more famous assets...ahem. It's easy enough to get wrapped up in the fur and the glitz of Marilyn. But, as her ex-husband Arthur Miller said: "To have survived, she would have had to be either more cynical or even further from reality than she was. Instead, she was a poet on a street corner trying to recite to a crowd pulling at her clothes." I think what always fascinated me about her was the more tragic, quiet aspects of her life. Her life, though charmed, seemed to consist of thorough, measured sadness - punctuated by lightening strikes of vivacity, and ended ultimately much too soon.


Getting ready



The look of a woman in love - Marilyn and Miller


a young Marilyn on the beach

a stolen moment between Marilyn and JFK


A very young Marilyn. I want to know what she was thinking here...I think this picture will haunt me for a very long time

No comments:

Post a Comment