Monday, March 28, 2011

Movie Nerd: Most Stylish Films (Ever)

Does art imitate life? Or do we all just try to imitate our favorite movies? I think it might be a bit of both, and in this newest segment of Movie Nerd, I'll tell you my favorite stylish films (in no particular order, of course).

Annie Hall (1977)

It's practically impossible to fully grasp the full effect that Annie Hall has had on style and fashion. Certainly a product of the 70's, Annie Hall displayed a laid back way of dressing that the world, especially the glamorous world of film, hadn't seen before. Thank you, Diane Keaton.
Now if only I could pull off the lady-tie....

source






The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)

The epitome of rich-preppy-hipster fashion (I suppose that's a genre) is The Royal Tenenbaums. Wes Anderson has a very distinct aesthetic as it is, yet nowhere is it more tangible than in Tenenbaums. This film (and Ms. Paltrow's performance) may have single-handedly brought back fur and heavy eyeliner. And the bob. And chain smoking. Well, three out of four ain't bad...




Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)

I mean, obviously. No justification necessary here.



A Bout De Souffle (1960)

Nothing could be more wonderfully French 60's than this Jean-Luc Godard film. Jean Seberg's painfully chic hair, the stripes, the Tribune T-shirt and skinny jeans...it's all so modern and yet so classic. All of these elements factor greatly into my style-psyche. In the words of Rachel Zoe: "I die."





Rear Window (1954)

Oh, Grace. Was there ever a more appropriate name for a more appropriate woman? Sigh. My favorite Hitchcock film (and that's saying something...as I love them all ever so) could very well be the most fashionable. The legendary Edith Head dressed the wonderful Grace, and in a movie about murder and voyeurism and intrigue and romance, you still have time to say to yourself: Damn. I want that outfit.




Blade Runner (1982)

The only futuristic film on my list, but I must say - it definitely has an incredibly stylish aesthetic. Darryl Hannah's character is a living-doll-assassin, and looks kickass while she flips (up to you to kick you to death). Sean Young's youthful, classic beauty and controlled appearance belied the crazy that awaited us in the 90's-00's. And, I mean...Harrison.






Atonement (2007)

That. Dress.

Oh, and that English Countryside at the outbreak of WWI. What's very interesting about this movie, and I didn't realize it until this post, is how the fabrics of each character's wardrobe seems to emulate them in some way. Keira Knightley's Cecilia, a very feminine, sexual character is draped in silks and florals. James McAvoy's (sigh) Robbie is equal parts rugged farm boy and black-tie gentleman - which I think befits his character quite well - don't you?







The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999)

Everything that you (I) love about the 60's, about Italy, about fabulously wealthy men and women. Everything about nerdy glasses and skinny ties and flouncy skirts and wonderful prints and Vespas. And short shorts on men.












Bonnie And Clyde (1967)

Revolutionary in so many ways - this film tops many people's lists as one of the most stylish films ever. Mine included. Certainly there hasn't been a better look than a chemise, gold medallion coin necklace and your partner in crime's hat? I don't think so.






No comments:

Post a Comment